Tag Archives: guns
When you don’t have anything intelligent to say, the best thing to do is JUST NOT TALK. Conservatives have yet to master that type of self-control, even after decades of making fools of themselves. Today’s case in point: Star Parker, who recently weighed in on the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida, as reported by Right Wing Watch:
Conservative activist Star Parker blamed the survivors of the recent mass shooting at a Florida high school for helping to bring about the massacre by not making friends with the future gunman, saying in a television interview yesterday… …we can call for gun control if we want to as a nation, we can call for more federal laws if we want to as a nation, but usually when you’re faced with tragedy, you first check yourself. We have forgotten how to just look inwardly. We’ve become such a nation of victims that we’ve forgotten to say, ‘Wait a minute, what could I have done?’
When asked what the students could have possibly done to prevent 19-YEAR-OLD DOMESTIC TERRORIST Nikolas Cruz from committing mass murder, Parker replied, I kid you not:
Well, perhaps say ‘hello,’ perhaps say ‘I’m sorry to hear your dad died… This is not the responsibility of Washington, D.C., or the NRA. This is the responsibility of people that are closest to someone to be able to look them in the eye as an individual. … this is a very small community, someone must have saw [sic] his sadness, someone must have known his dad died. …they expelled him probably because he was acting out, and he was acting out probably because he didn’t have any friends—you know, whoever sat next to him in class, they’d better not be the ones who are protesting out there today.
WOW. That’s a new one, putting the onus for a school shooting on the students; we have plumbed the depths of callousness. Here are a few highlights from Cruz’s teenage years, courtesy of the Miami Herald; I wonder if Parker would have wanted her child to bring this kid home for dinner:
- Nikolas hit his Mother with a vacuum cleaner hose and threw her against a wall
- Shot his neighbor’s chickens
- threatened to kill another boy over a girl
- “talked about killing Mexicans and gays and chaining up and killing black people”
- “referred to white women in interracial relationships as traitors”.
- wrote about his birth mother: “My real mom was a Jew. I am glad I never met her.”
And nobody wanted to be this guy’s BFF? Stuck up little high school students; if only they’d said hello to him…
You might also want to read about Republicans gutting coverage for mental health care, how Trump made it easier for the mentally unstable to get guns, how the late Phyllis Schlafly railed against “routine and comprehensive” testing and mental health screening in schools, or how the 1996, Republican-majority Congress prevented the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from funding research into firearm injuries and deaths in the ensuing decades.
Republican Priorities in Idaho: GUNS!
Idaho Ed News reports:
“Safety and prevention are always a priority,” Nate said. “In an era where gun ownership is increasing, we do see in the news more and more cases of active shooter situations and incidental accidents with firearms. It is a responsibility of ours to educate children as best we can for firearms and firearm safety.” Nate’s bill states “trustees may adopt an elective course of instruction developed by the Department of Fish and Game, a law enforcement agency or a firearms association as its firearms safety education course.”
One interesting aspect of the bill: The above listed instruction meets the state’s requirements for a concealed carry permit:
(9) The sheriff may require the applicant to demonstrate familiarity with a firearm and must accept any one (1) of the following as evidence of the applicant’s familiarity with a firearm:(a) Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the department of fish and game or a similar agency of another state;(b) Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course…(c) Completion of any firearms safety or training course… available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency… or public institution… utilizing instructors certified by the national rifle association or the Idaho state police…